Published on November 26th, 2013 | by Ruben0
Bodegas Argüeso was founded by Mr. León de Argüeso y Argüeso in 1822. Originally from Burgos in the North of Spain, he settled in Sanlúcar, where he opened a small grocery store called Almacén del Reloj. A couple of years later he acquired some old barrels and the cellar San Jose in the alley of Santo Domingo, whose age is estimated at more than 250 years.
León was never married and after his death he left his business to his nephew Juan and niece Francisca. Hence the full name of the company: Los 2 herederos de Don León de Argüeso or Two heirs of Argüeso. The business was gradually expanded, adding wineries around the original core of the Bodega San Jose and opening the whole main facade facing the Calle del Mar. Nowadays the compound spans almost two blocks with a total of 13.500 square meters. It includes spaces from the former convent of Santo Domingo as are the warehouses “El Refectorio” and “La Sacristía” which are covered with magnificent polychrome coffered ceilings from the sixteenth century.
Part of Bodegas Yuste
In addition to the headquarters in the Calle del Mar, Argüeso also a modern vinification plant and cellar San Lucas on the road to Chipiona, which was acquired in 1992. This also includes the bottling plant.
In 2016 Argüeso was taken over by Bodegas Yuste who also owns Bodega Miraflores and the former Pedro Romero.
Argüeso sherry range
Argüeso’s strength is definitely in its Manzanilla. They have a range of four expressions:
- Manzanilla Argüeso, a light version of around four years, for local consumption
- Manzanilla Las Medallas, four to five years old
- San León Manzanilla, five to six years old
- San León Reserva de la Familia Manzanilla, a Manzanilla Pasada of around eight years old, bottled en rama from two small sacas a year
- Amontillado Argüeso, around 10 years old
- Amontillado Viejo VORS, said to be around 70 years!
- Oloroso Argüeso, around five years
- Cream Argüeso, from a coupage between different Oloroso and Amontillado wines with an extra 20% of P.X.
- Pedro Ximénez Argüeso, around five years
- Moscatel Fruta Argüeso, around five years
They also produce a white table wine and sherry vinegar.
Sanlúcar de Barrameda
Tel: (0034) 956 385 116
Visits possible by appointment.